Dolphins are amazing creatures. Some of those who have swam with
dolphins say they are very spiritual beings, and that their joyful
spirit is contagious. Some of the best Dolphin Art captures this spirit.
I
particularly enjoy the artwork of Wayland and Christian Lassen. The work
of both these artists is a source of inspiration in my own art. They
each seem to have a special kinship with dolphins... and express that
relationship beautifully on the canvas.
Meditating on the
symbolism that dolphins represent, I sometimes wonder about the lost
civilizations of Lemuria and Atlantis. Mythical sea creatures are often
associated with stories of these sunken worlds.
One belief is that
dolphins played a role in the sacred rituals of these civilizations.
Others say that dolphins guard the secrets of these long-lost
civilizations that could be buried deep under the ocean floor... just as
there may be memories of Lemuria and Atlantis buried deep in our
collective psyche as well.
Given how highly intelligent dolphins are, it certainly seems possible. Perhaps they are a more advanced species than we know.
Some
of the Dolphin Art I've seen eludes to some of these ideas. Dolphins
circling buried treasure and long-since forgotten ruins. Maybe they
actually are mystical guardians, watching over our collective past until
the day when memories and evidence can surface anew.
I have felt a
connection with dolphins for as long as I can remember. There's
something that feels ancient and soulful about these playful mammals.
Truth
is, when I first started painting, I never expected to create a Dolphin
Art series. Now, it's thrilling wherever one or more show up in one of
my paintings... often showing up in multicolored fashion.
They've appeared in my dreams a number of times over the years, but as 2012, I have not been "up close and personal" with them.
Swimming with the dolphins remains on my bucket list.
Beyond
that, other contemporary ideas suggest that dolphin energies can clear
chakras and heal psychological wounds. Many people who have swam with
the dolphins talk about feeling spiritually revitalized afterwards. They
talk about feelings of deep peace and a heightened sense of well-being.
With
everything that's been scientifically documented, and with all the
personal and anecdotal data that's available, I think it's fair to say
that dolphins are very special creatures. And any Dolphin Art that can
tap into the mystical nature of these wondrous beings gets my two thumbs
up.
